Carrot Cake Muffins
As a mom of two toddlers I struggle with getting my children to eat a wide variety of vegetables. My children want nothing to do with carrots unless they are in muffins.
When making the muffins I peel and grate the carrots before I invite my children to bake with me. The first time I made these muffins as I was peeling the carrots my 3 yr old son asked for a piece. I gave him a chunk, he bit it and promptly spit it out.
When we started mixing the batter I had bowl of the grated carrots sitting on the counter in front of my two children and neither one of them paid it any attention. As soon as I dumped that bowl of shredded carrots into our main mixing bowl both of them grabbed a handful of carrots and eat it!
My children still won’t eat carrots but these carrot muffins have become one of their favourite snacks.
You can bake them with your kids or you can bake them by yourself, either way give them a try and you won’t be disappointed!
Carrot Cake Muffins
- 1 & 1/2 C flour
- 1 C white sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 C brown sugar
- 1/2 C vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 C freshly grated carrots
- Preheat oven to 350F and line your muffin tins.
- In a medium sized bowl whisk together flour, white sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
- In a large mixing bowl add brown sugar, oil, vanilla, and eggs. Mix till everything is well combined.
- Add the grated carrots into the wet ingredients and mix again.
- Dump the dry ingredients into the wet and fold until everything is combined. You don't want to over mix so once the flour is incorporated stop mixing.
- Fill your muffin tins with the batter. I fill my tins till they are almost full to create that nice large muffin top. You can fill your tins 2/3 if you want smaller muffins.
- Bake for 24-27 minutes depending on how much you filled your muffin tins. You will be able to tell the muffins are done when you poke the top of the muffin and it rises back up. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from the tins.