Chewy Coconut Cookies
Easy and quick, these chewy coconut cookies are delicious and have that perfect chewy cookie texture. Fantastic for any coconut lover!
This past weekend we visited our friends cottage for our first ever mommy and daddy getaway! I wanted to bring up a baked good to share but had no idea what to make. When going to a cottage I usually make my Cottage Cookies but I knew I did not have the right ingredients on hand. I scoured my pantry and besides the basic ingredients I had lots of shredded coconut. I decided to go with chewy coconut cookies and they were a huge hit!
The best part about this recipe is how easy and fast it is to make. From start to finish its under 30 minutes. I whipped these up while my toddlers were taking a nap and everything was baked, cleaned up, and packed away before they got up. I usually bake with my toddlers but I had to move quick to get these cookies done before leaving for the cottage.
The texture of these cookies are so chewy and the cookie itself isn’t overly sweet. I love coconut all year, but coconut and summertime just go together perfectly.
How to Make Chewy Coconut Cookies
To start preheat the oven to 350 F and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
In a large bowl or stand mixer with the paddle attachment on beat the butter, white sugar, and brown sugar together until light and fluffy. This usually takes 2-3 minutes. Add in the egg, coconut extract, and vanilla and mix until well combined.
In a separate medium sized bowl whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt. Add the dry ingredients into the wet and mix together. Lastly, add in the shredded coconut.
For regular sized cookies spoon dough into 1 & 1/2 tbsp balls and place on the baking sheet 2 inches apart. When making large cookies use 3 tbsp worth of dough.
Bake regular sized cookies for 8-10 minutes or until edges are golden brown. The middle will still look raw but will set while cooling. For larger cookies bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
Cool cookies on the pan for 5 minutes before moving to a wire rack to cool fully. Store cookies in an airtight container at room temperature.
Don’t Have Coconut Extract
Coconut extract can usually be found at the grocery store in the baking isle. If you don’t have any you can omit it from the recipe. Instead just add an extra 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract.
Bake them on your own or bake them with your kids, either way I’m sure you’ll love with these Chewy Coconut Cookies!
If you make these cookies you can tag me on Instagram @jessiebakestreats and leave me a review below. I’d love to hear from you!
For more ideas you can follow me on Pinterest.
You Might Also Enjoy
- Bakery Style Coconut Muffins
- Toasted Coconut Dutch Baby Pancake
- Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Brownie Cookies
- Cookies and Cream Cookies
- Turtle Cookies
Chewy Coconut CookiesJessie M
- 1/2 C salted butter softened
- 1/2 C brown sugar packed
- 1/2 C white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp coconut extract
- 1 & 1/4 C all-purpose flour spooned and levelled
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 & 1/3 C sweetened shredded coconut sometimes called flaked coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 F and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer beat together butter, brown sugar, and white sugar until light and fluffy (usually takes 2-3 minutes).
- Add in egg, vanilla extract, and coconut extract. Mix till well combined.
- In a separate medium sized bowl whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Add dry ingredients into the wet and mix till combined.
- Mix in the shredded coconut.
- Spoon dough into 1 & 1/2 tbsp balls and place on the baking sheet 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 8-9 minutes or until edges are golden brown. The middle will still look raw but will set while cooling.
- Cool on pan for 5 minutes before moving to a wire rack to cool fully.