Caramel stuffed ginger cookies are chewy, warmly spiced, made with molasses, and stuffed with caramel. These easy to make cookies are perfect for fall and winter baking.
This recipe is a twist on my Soft and Chewy Ginger Cookies. This recipe makes the BEST ginger cookies out there and are my most requested recipe with family and friends.
WHY YOU'LL LOVE THESE GINGER COOKIES
Perfectly spiced. These cookies are warmly spiced and full of flavour. I can't stand a bland ginger cookie!
Easy to make. The recipe comes very easily.
Amazing texture. These cookies are perfectly chewy and soft.
Caramel. The cookies are stuffed with caramel, as a result, this adds extra flavour and a fun twist on regular ginger cookies.
Here are some notes on the ingredients. For the full ingredients list and recipe check out the recipe card below.
- Flour- I use all purpose flour.
- Ginger- Ground ginger is used to add flavour.
- Cinnamon- Ground cinnamon is used to add flavour.
- Cloves- Ground cloves are added for a little extra spice.
- Baking soda- The levelling agent used.
- Butter- I used salted butter, be sure it is at room temperature.
- White sugar- Used to sweeten the cookie and roll the cookie dough in.
- Egg- One large egg is used to bind the cookies. I have not tried egg replacements.
- Molasses- Use sweetened molasses.
HOW TO MAKE Caramel Stuffed GINGER COOKIES
First, in a medium sized bowl whisk together flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and salt. Set aside.
Next, in a large bowl cream together butter and 1 cup white sugar until light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes.
Beat in the egg. Next, add the water and molasses and mix until well combined.
Add in the flour mixture and mix till combined.
Lastly, cover with plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for 2 hours.
Preheat oven to 350 F and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
Add 1/4 cup white sugar into a shallow bowl.
First, scoop 3 TBSP sized balls. Then create a hole in the centre of the cookie dough ball with your thumb. Next, add a caramel square in the hole.
Next, Squish the cookie dough closed and roll into a ball.
Roll ball in the white sugar and place on the baking sheet 2 inches apart.
Finally, bake cookies for 12-13 minutes.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
WHAT DOES SPOONED AND LEVELLED FLOUR MEAN?
Spooned and levelled flour refers to the way of measuring flour. To properly measure flour first, scoop spoonfuls of flour into your measuring cup. Secondly, scrape with a knife to level off the access. This works because scooping the flour directly into the measuring cup the flour compress and getting more than the recipe calls for.
STORING THE COOKIES
Store the cookies in an airtight container at room temperature. As a result, the cookies stay good for up to five days if stored properly.
What Kind of Molasses should I use?
You will want to use a sweetened molasses. It's sometimes called fancy molasses. You will find sweetened/fancy molasses in the baking aisle of your grocery store.
HOW TO GET PERFECTLY ROUND COOKIES
When the baked cookies are pulled from the oven, next, place a round cookie cutter (a little bit large than the cookies) around the cookies. Gently swirl it around. As a result, this will give your cookie a round shape. If you don’t have a cookie cutter you can use a glass or a jar lid
CAN I MAKE THE COOKIES Smaller?
No, I recommend keeping these cookies large because you want lots of dough to make sure the caramel stays inside the cookie.
If you make these caramel stuffed ginger cookies please leave a star rating and comment below!
More Recipes to LOVE
- Gingerbread Loaf
- Soft and Chewy Ginger Cookies
- Bakery Style Gingerbread Muffins
- White Chocolate Candy Cane Cookies
- Red Velvet Crinkle Cookies
- Easy Christmas Sprinkle Sugar Cookies
Caramel Stuffed Ginger Cookies
- large bowel
- medium bowl
- small bowl
- baking sheet
- parchment paper
- measuring cups
- 2 & 1/2 C all purpose flour spooned and levelled*
- 3 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 C salted butter at room temperature
- 1 C white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp water
- 1/4 C sweetened molasses (not cooking molasses)
- 1/4 C white sugar for rolling the cookie dough in
- 16 caramel squares
- In a medium sized bowl whisk together flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and salt. Set aside.2 & 1/2 C all purpose flour, 3 tsp ground ginger, 1 tsp baking soda, 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon, 1 tsp ground cloves, 1/4 tsp salt
- In a large bowl cream together butter and 1 cup white sugar until light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes.3/4 C salted butter, 1 C white sugar
- Beat in the egg.1 large egg
- Add the water and molasses and mix until well combined.1/4 C sweetened molasses, 1 tbsp water
- Add the flour mixture into the wet ingredients. Mix just until everything is combined.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 F and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Add 1/4 cup white sugar into a shallow bowl.1/4 C white sugar
- Scoop 3 TBSP sized balls. Create a hole in the centre of the cookie dough ball with your thumb.
- Add a caramel square in the hole. Squish the cookie dough closed and roll into a ball.16 caramel squares
- Roll ball in the white sugar and place on the baking sheet 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 12-13 minutes or until the bottoms are golden brown.
- Allow cookies to cool on the pan before moving.