These chocolate pumpkin muffins have layers of both pumpkin and pumpkin chocolate. These moist muffins are easy to make and perfect for fall and Halloween baking.
WHY YOU'LL LOVE THEM
Easy to make. This muffins are very easy to make and done by hand.
Chocolate and pumpkin. Chocolate and pumpkin flavours go so well together!
Festive. The dark cocoa powder makes these muffins perfect for Halloween baking.
- Flour- All purpose flour works best
- Pumpkin Pie Spice- This is found in the baking isle with all the other
- Ground cinnamon
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Eggs- This recipe use two large whole eggs at room temperature
- Brown sugar
- White sugar
- Vegetable oil
- Pumpkin puree- not pumpkin pie filling
- Vanilla extract
- Cocoa powder- I used black cocoa powder.
STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS
To make these muffin start preheating your oven to 425 F and lining your muffin tins.
In a medium bowl whisk flour, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together. Set aside.
In a large bowl mix brown sugar, white sugar, eggs, vegetable oil, milk, and pumpkin puree together.
Once the wet ingredients are mixed add them into the dry ingredients and fold together with a rubber spatula. Mix just until the flour is blended, you don't want to over mix.
Divide half the batter into a separate bowl.
Add the cocoa powder in one of the bowls and mix till combined.
Scoop spoons fulls of the two different batters and layer them into the muffin tins. Filling them up all the way.
Bake for 5 minutes at 425 F. Then reduce oven temperature to 350 F and bake for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of a muffin comes out clean.
Allow muffins to cool for 10 minutes before removing from the pan.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
STORING THE Muffins
Store the muffins in an airtight container at room temperature. The muffins stay good for up to four days if stored properly.
CAN I USE PUMPKIN PIE INSTEAD OF PUMPKIN PUREE?
No, you will want to make sure its pumpkin puree. Pumpkin pie filling comes sweetened and spiced so using it will throw off the taste of the muffins.
DO I NEED TO BRING MY EGG TO ROOM TEMPERATURE?
Yes you do. Room temperature eggs break down easier in the batter. This means less mixing, which gives you a fluffy moist muffin. If you forget to take your egg out of the fridge (I always do) just run your egg under warm water for a few minutes.
WHERE CAN I GET BLACK COCOA POWDER?
I live in Ontario, Canada and I got mine for the Bulk Barn store. I believe it can also be purchased on Amazon.
WHAT DOES SPOONED AND LEVELLED FLOUR MEAN?
Spooned and levelled flour refers to the way of measuring flour. To properly measure flour you should scoop spoonfuls of flour into your measuring cup and then scrape with a knife to level off the access.
Scooping the measuring cup directly into your flour cause the flour to compress and getting more than the recipe calls for.
If you make these chocolate pumpkin muffins please leave a star rating and comment below!
MORE PUMPKIN RECIPES TO LOVE
- Pumpkin Spice Latte Loaf Cake
- Halloween Cheesecake Swirl Brownies
- Pumpkin Coffee Cake Cookies
- Pumpkin Bread with Streusel Topping
- Mini Pumpkin Spice Donuts
- Chewy Pumpkin Cookies
- Pumpkin Swirl Cheesecake Bars
Chocolate Pumpkin Muffins
- large and medium bowls
- muffin pan
- muffin liners
- 1 & 3/4 C all purpose flour spooned and levelled*
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 2/3 C brown sugar
- 1/3 C white sugar
- 1/2 C vegtable oil
- 1 & 1/4 C pumpkin puree
- 1/4 C milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp black cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to oven to 425F and line muffin pan with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.1 & 3/4 C all purpose flour, 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice, 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon, 1 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp baking soda, 1/4 tsp salt
- In a large sized bowl combine the eggs, brown sugar, white sugar, oil, pumpkin puree, vanilla extract, and milk.2 large eggs, 2/3 C brown sugar, 1/3 C white sugar, 1/2 C vegtable oil, 1 & 1/4 C pumpkin puree, 1/4 C milk, 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet and fold together using a rubber spatula. You want to be careful not to over mix. Once you can no longer see any dry ingredients stop mixing.
- Divide half the batter into a separate bowl.
- Add the cocoa powder in one of the bowls and mix till combined.2 tbsp black cocoa powder
- Scoop spoons fulls of the two different batters and layer them into the muffin tins. Filling them up all the way.
- Bake for 5 minutes at 425 F. Then reduce oven temperature to 350 F and bake for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of a muffin comes out clean.
- Allow muffins to cool for 10 minutes before removing from the pan.