My Grandmother is an extremely talented cook and baker and many of her recipes are tied to special memories. A family favourite is her cottage cookies. These are the cookies she would always bake and bring with her whenever she would visit someone's cottage.
These cookies are loaded with a mix of cornflakes, coconut, rolled oats, and pecans. They're light, crunchy, and have an amazing flavour! The recipe also makes a ton of cookies which is perfect for sharing with a large cottage crowd.
We recently went up to my parent's cottage and I wanted to bring a dessert, what could be more perfect than Grandma's Cottage Cookies. My toddlers and I whipped up a batch the day before we left .
The recipe is really easy to make. If possible I recommend you use a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, the recipe makes a lot of dough and using a stand mixer makes stirring easier. My kids really enjoyed helping bake these because there are lots of ingredients to pour in (their favourite part).
The dough will be very crumbly. I usually use an ice cream scoop to form the dough balls and then roll it in my hands after to shape the dough together.
After placing the dough on a lined baking sheet you'll want to gently press the dough down with a fork (see picture above). Bake until golden brown.
The cookies turned out amazing and my family loved the nostalgic essence.
Bake them with your kids or bake them on your own, either way these delicious cookies may just become a family classic for you too!
Make sure to tag me on Instagram @jessiebakestreats and leave me a review below if you've made these cookies. I'd love to hear from you! For more ideas you can follow me on Pinterest.
- 1 C butter room temperature
- 1 C brown sugar
- 1 C white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 C sunflower oil can substitute for vegetable oil
- 1 C rolled oats
- 1 C crushed cornflakes cereal
- 1/2 C shredded coconut
- 1/2 C chopped pecans
- 3 & 1/2 C sifted flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350F
- In a large bowl cream together butter, brown sugar, and white sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add in egg and vanilla extract and mix well.
- Add in oil and stir until well combined.
- Add in the rolled oats, crushed cornflakes, shredded coconut, and chopped pecans and mix well.
- In a separate bowl mix the sifted flour, salt, and baking soda together.
- Add dry ingredients into the batter and mix until well combined.
- Form dough into 1 & 1/2 tbsp balls and place onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Gently flatten the cookie dough with a fork.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until the edges of the cookies are golden brown. Then cool on a wire rack.
Tried your cottage cookie recipe yesterday ...it was amazing ! Can't wait to try another recipe. 😊
Thank you! That's so nice to hear. I'm so happy you liked it! 🙂