I always tend to buy lemons in those bulk bags at the grocery store even when I just need one or two for a dinner recipe. To use up some of those extra lemons my toddlers and I made a glazed lemon cake loaf earlier this week.
This recipe comes together really easily and the result is a delicious light and fluffy cake with just the right amount of lemon flavour (I don't like when desserts have an overwhelming lemon taste to them).
The only extra steps you have to take for this recipe is to be sure to use room temperature eggs and sour cream. It makes a difference in the density of the loaf. So just be sure to remove the eggs and sour cream from the fridge at least 20 minutes before baking.
During our last baking adventure my toddlers discovered it's more fun to stand on the counter rather than their chairs. This resulted in the cupboards being opened and almost all my glasses and plates covered in little sticky fingerprints. I'm happy to say that the cupboards were still opened this time around but they seemed less into touching everything and more interested in helping me bake.
If you love sweet loafs as much as me you might also want to check out my cinnamon swirl buttermilk loaf.
Bake them on your own or bake them with your kids, either way I’m sure you’ll love with this Glazed Lemon Loaf Cake!
If you make this loaf you can tag me on Instagram @jessiebakestreats and leave me a review below. I’d love to hear from you!
For more ideas you can follow me on Pinterest.
Glazed Lemon Cake Loaf
- loaf baking pan
- 1/2 C butter softened
- 1 C white sugar
- 3 eggs at room temperature
- 1 tbsp lemon zest about one lemon large
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 & 1/2 C all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 C sour cream at room temperature
- 1/2 C icing sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Remove eggs and sour cream from the fridge about 20 minutes before baking to allow them to warm up.
- Preheat oven to 325 F. Grease and line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl or a stand mixer with the paddle attachment on beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy (usually take about 3 minutes).
- Add eggs one at a time and mix in completely before adding the next egg. You want this cake to be light and fluffy so after all eggs are added continue to mix for another 2 minutes.
- Stir in the lemon zest, lemon juice, and vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl whisk together flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder.
- While continue to mix add in 1/3 cup dry ingredients, half of the sour cream, another 1/3 cup dry ingredients, the rest of the sour cream, and finally the last of the dry ingredients.
- Add batter to your lined loaf pan and bake for an hour.
- Cake will be done when toothpick comes out clean or you when you can press on the top with your finger and it bounce back up.
- Cool in the pan for 10 minutes before moving to a wire rack to cool more.
- While cooling mix together powdered sugar and lemon juice to make the glaze.
- Drizzle the glaze on top of the warm loaf while it is on the wire rack.
You might also like