Pumpkin Cream Cheese Swirl Muffins
We bake a lot of muffins. With two toddlers muffins make a great and easy snack. They are also one of our favourite things to bake together. My toddlers love how everything is mixed by hand (not the stand mixer). Since we bake muffins at least once a week it’s nice to change up the recipes. This week we tweaked our Pumpkin Crumb Muffins recipe to make these Pumpkin Cream Cheese Swirl Muffins.
These muffins are delicious, with just the right amount of sweetness and full of pumpkin flavour. The texture is soft and moist, just like a muffin should be. The top has a cheesecake like swirl which is not only tasty but also beautiful!
To make these muffin start preheating your oven to 375 F and lining your muffin tins. In a large bowl whisk flour, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together.
In a medium sized bowl mix brown sugar, white sugar, eggs, vegetable oil, milk, and pumpkin puree together. Make sure you are using pumpkin puree and not pumpkin pie filling. Set aside.
Once the wet ingredients are mixed add them into the dry ingredients and fold together with a rubber spatula. Mix just until the flour is blended, you don’t want to over mix. Add batter into 12 lined muffin tins. Fill tins 3/4 full.
Using a handheld mixer or a stand mixer with a whisk attachment on, mix together cream cheese, egg yolk, vanilla, and sugar. Continue whisking until mixture is smooth and creamy.
Scoop out 1 tbsp worth of cream cheese mixture and place on top of each muffin. Use a tooth pick to swirl the batter together.
Bake muffins for 18-22 minutes or until a tooth pick comes out clean. Cool in pans for 5 minutes before moving to a wire rack to cool completely. Since these muffins have cream cheese they do need to be stored in the fridge in an airtight container.
Bake them by yourself or bake them with your kids, either way you will fall in love with these Pumpkin Cream Cheese Swirl Muffins!
Pumpkin Cream Cheese Swirl Muffins
- 1 & 3/4 C all purpose flour
- 1 & 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- 2/3 C brown sugar
- 1/3 C white sugar
- 1/2 C vegetable oil
- 1 & 1/4 C pumpkin puree
- 1/4 C milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Cream Cheese Swirl
- 8 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
- 1/4 C white sugar
- 1 large egg yolk at room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to oven to 375F and line muffin pan with paper liners.
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl combine the eggs, brown sugar, white sugar, oil, pumpkin puree, vanilla extract, and milk.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry and fold together using a rubber spatula. You want to be careful not to over mix. Once you can no longer see any dry ingredients stop mixing.
- Add the batter to the muffin tins. Fill each tin about 3/4 full.
Cream Cheese swirl
- Using a handheld mixer or stand mixer with the whisk attachment on blend cream cheese, white sugar, egg yolk, and vanilla together until smooth and creamy.
- Add a tbsp of the cream cheese mixture on top of each muffin.
- Using a toothpick swirl the cream cheese into the pumpkin batter.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of a muffin comes out clean. Allow muffins to cool for 10 minutes before removing from the pan.