Rainbow chip cookies are a chewy cookie full of candy coated chocolate chips. Easy to make and no chilling required. These are a homemade version of the Chips Ahoy rainbow cookies.
WHY YOU'LL LOVE THEM
Perfect texture. They have a chewy centre with slightly crispy edges.
No dough chilling required. The recipe comes together quickly and the dough does not have to be chilled.
A fun cookie. These are a fun and different cookie. Great for kids and kids at heart.
A homemade version of Chips Ahoy cookies. Unlike Chips Ahoy cookies these are thick and chewy!
- Butter - I use salted butter and make sure it is at room temperature.
- Brown Sugar
- White sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Eggs- This recipe use one whole large egg plus a second egg yolk.
- Flour- All purpose flour works best.
- Baking soda
- Baking powder
- Rainbow chips-These are are rainbow candy coated chocolate chips.
STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS
Start by preheating the oven to 350 F and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
First, in a large bowl or stand mixer cream together butter and sugars. Be sure to mix for a few good minutes, I like to do about 5.
Secondly, add in vanilla, egg, and egg yolk. Beat until mixture is well combined.
In a second bowl whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt.
Add dry ingredients into wet and mix until just combined.
Next, fold in the rainbow chips.
Next, scoop out 3 tbsp worth for dough and shape into a ball. Place on the baking sheet 2 inches apart.
Lastly, top the cookie dough balls with extra rainbow chips.
Bake for 10-12 minutes or until cookies are golden brown on the bottom. The cookies will be puffed up and look slightly under done but they will continue to bake as they cool and flatten out.
Finally, let cool on the baking pan before moving.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Where Do I buy rainbow chips?
I'm in Ontario, Canada and I buy my rainbow chips at the Bulk Barn store. They should be sold at other baking supply stores.
What are rainbow chips?
They are candy coated chocolate chips.
WHAT DOES SPOONED AND LEVELLED FLOUR MEAN?
Spooned and levelled flour refers to the way of measuring flour. To properly measure flour you should scoop spoonfuls of flour into your measuring cup and then scrape with a knife to level off the access. Scooping the measuring cup directly into your flour cause the flour to compress and getting more than the recipe calls for.
STORING THE COOKIES
Store the cookies in an airtight container at room temperature. The keep well up to four days.
HOW TO GET PERFECTLY ROUND COOKIES
As soon as the baked cookies are pulled from the oven place a round cookie cutter (a little bit large than the cookies) around the cookies. Then, gently swirl it around. This will give your cookie a round shape. If you don’t have a cookie cutter you can use a glass or a jar lid.
CAN I MAKE THE COOKIES SMALLER?
Yes, you can scoop 1 & 1/2 tbsp balls and then bake for 8-9 minutes or until edges are golden brown.
CAN I FREEZE THEM?
Yes, you can freeze the cookie dough balls or baked cookies in the freezer up to 3 months. When baking from frozen they will need a few extra minutes to bake.
If you make these rainbow chip cookies please leave a star rating and comment below!
YOU MIGHT ALSO LOVE
- Cosmic Brownie Cookies
- Classic Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Pink White Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Funfetti Cookies
- Sprinkle Sugar Cookie Bars
- Cookie Monster Cookies
Rainbow Chip Cookies
- large bowl
- baking pan
- parchment paper
- measuring cups/spoons
- 3/4 C salted butter at room temperature
- 1 C brown sugar
- 1/2 C white sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 C all purpose flour spooned and levelled*
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 C candy covered chocolate chips plus extra for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 F and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer cream together butter and sugars until light and fluffy. This takes a good 5 minutes.3/4 C salted butter, 1 C brown sugar, 1/2 C white sugar
- Add in vanilla, egg, and egg yolk. Beat until mixture is well combined.2 tsp vanilla extract, 1 large egg, 1 large egg yolk
- In a second bowl whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.2 C all purpose flour, 1/2 tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1/4 tsp salt
- Add dry ingredients into wet and mix until combined.
- Fold in the rainbow candy coated chocolate chips.3/4 C candy covered chocolate chips
- Scoop out 3 tbsp worth for dough and shape into a ball. Place on the baking sheet 2 inches apart. Top the cookie dough balls with extra rainbow chips.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until cookies are golden brown on the bottom. The cookies will be puffed up and look slightly under done but they will continue to bake as they cool and flatten out. Let cool on the baking pan before moving.