These soft and chewy ginger cookies are full of flavour, perfectly spiced, and made with molasses. These easy to make cookies are perfect for fall and winter baking.
This recipe makes the BEST soft and chewy ginger cookies. I've been baking them for years and have perfected the recipe. They are my most requested and craved cookies amongst my family and friends.
Why You'll Love These Ginger Cookies
Perfectly spiced. These cookies are warmly spiced and full of flavour. I can't stand a bland ginger cookie!
Easy to make. The recipe comes very easily.
Amazing texture. These cookies are perfectly chewy and soft.
How to Make Soft and Chewy Ginger Cookies
In a medium sized bowl whisk together flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and salt. Set aside.
In a large bowl cream together butter and 1 cup white sugar until light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes.
Beat in the egg. Add the water and molasses and mix until well combined.
Add the flour mixture into the wet ingredients. Mix just until everything is combined.
Cover with plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for 2 hours.
Preheat oven to 350 F and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
Add 1/4 cup white sugar into a shallow bowl.
Scoop 1 & 1/2 TBSP sized balls. Roll the cookie dough balls in the white sugar and place on baking sheet 2 inches apart.
For smaller cookies bake 10 minutes or until cookies are brown golden brown on the bottom and tops are set.
Allow cookies to cool on the baking tray before moving.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
WHAT DOES SPOONED AND LEVELLED FLOUR MEAN?
Spooned and levelled flour refers to the way of measuring flour. To properly measure flour you should scoop spoonfuls of flour into your measuring cup and then scrape with a knife to level off the access. Scooping the measuring cup directly into your flour cause the flour to compress and getting more than the recipe calls for.
STORING THE COOKIES
Store the cookies in an airtight container at room temperature. The cookies stay good for up to four days if stored properly.
What is fancy molasses?
Fancy molasses is used in baking because it is sweetened. Cooking molasses on the other hand is unsweetened and is used more in bbq sauces and rubs. You will find fancy molasses in the baking aisle of your grocery store.
HOW TO GET PERFECTLY ROUND COOKIES
As soon as the baked cookies are pulled from the oven place a round cookie cutter (a little bit large than the cookies) around the cookies and gently swirl it around. This will give your cookie a round shape. If you don’t have a cookie cutter you can use a glass or a jar lid.
CAN I MAKE THE COOKIES Larger?
Yes, if you wanted larger cookies you can scoop out 3Tbsp sized balls. Bake them for about 12-14 minutes or until bottoms are golden brown.
If you make these soft and chewy ginger cookies please leave a star rating and comment below!
You Might Also Love
- Bakery Style Gingerbread Muffins
- White Chocolate Candy Cane Cookies
- Red Velvet Crinkle Cookies
- Peppermint Brownies
- Easy Christmas Sprinkle Sugar Cookies
- Christmas Sprinkle Vanilla Biscotti
Soft and Chewy Ginger Cookies
- large mixing bowl
- baking sheets
- 2 & 1/2 C all purpose flour *spooned and levelled
- 3 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 C salted butter at room temperature
- 1 C white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp water
- 1/4 C sweetened molasses (not cooking molasses)
- 1/4 C white sugar for rolling the cookies
- In a medium sized bowl whisk together flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and salt. Set aside.2 & 1/2 C all purpose flour, 3 tsp ground ginger, 1 tsp baking soda, 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon, 1 tsp ground cloves, 1/4 tsp salt
- In a large bowl cream together butter and 1 cup white sugar until light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes.3/4 C salted butter, 1 C white sugar
- Beat in the egg.1 large egg
- Add the water and molasses and mix until well combined.1 tbsp water, 1/4 C sweetened molasses
- Add the flour mixture into the wet ingredients. Mix just until everything is combined.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 F and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Add 1/4 cup white sugar into a shallow bowl.1/4 C white sugar
- Scoop 1 & 1/2 TBSP sized balls. Roll the cookie dough balls in the white sugar and place on baking sheet 2 inches apart.
- Bake 10 minutes or until cookies are brown golden brown on the bottom and tops are set.
- Allow cookies to cool on the baking tray before moving.