These tie dye cookies are a chewy sugar cookie with three colours swirled together to create a beautiful tie dye effect. The recipe is easy to make and no chilling required.
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THEM
They use simple ingredients. These cookies use basic baking ingredients that you probably already have in your cupboard.
Perfect texture. These cookies are chewy on the inside and have a slight crisp to the edges.
No chill time. This sugar cookie dough requires no chilling.
Pretty cookie. The beautiful tie dye swirls of colour make these cookies so pretty!
Tastes amazing. These cookies have a buttery and sugar cookie taste to them.
- Butter- This recipes use salted butter at room temperature.
- White sugar
- Egg- 1 large whole egg.
- Vanilla extract
- Food colouring- Liquid or gel works, the amount may differ depending on the type you use. You want to use bright/neon colours.
- Flour- All purpose flour works best.
- Baking soda
- Baking powder
STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 F and lining baking trays with parchment paper.
In a large bowl cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. This usually takes a good 5 minutes.
Add in the egg and vanilla extract and mix till well combined.
In a separate bowl whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix till well combined.
Divide dough into 3 equal pieces.
With each dough piece add in a 1/4 tsp of different colours of food colouring. Mix well to saturate the dough. Keep dough pieces separate.
Scoop out 1 tbsp of each of the different coloured dough. Squish together and roll into a large ball to swirl the colours together.
Place on a baking sheet 2 inches apart.
Bake for 12 minutes or until cookies are just starting to turn brown on the bottom. Let cookies cool on the baking sheet fully before moving.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
WHAT DOES SPOONED AND LEVELLED FLOUR MEAN?
Spooned and levelled flour refers to the way of measuring flour. To properly measure flour you should scoop spoonfuls of flour into your measuring cup and then scrape with a knife to level off the access. Scooping the measuring cup directly into your flour cause the flour to compress and getting more than the recipe calls for.
STORING THE COOKIES
Store the cookies in an airtight container at room temperature. The keep well up to four days
HOW TO GET PERFECTLY ROUND COOKIES
As soon as the baked cookies are pulled from the oven place a round cookie cutter (a little bit large than the cookies) around the cookies and gently swirl it around. This will give your cookie a round shape. If you don’t have a cookie cutter you can use a glass or a jar lid.
CAN I MAKE THE COOKIES SMALLER?
Yes, you can scoop 1 & 1/2 tbsp balls and bake for 9 minutes or until edges are golden brown.
HOW TO GET CHEWY COOKIES
The trick is to slightly under bake the cookies. Take them out when the centre looks a little soft. Leave them to cool on the tray. The residual heat from the tray will continue to cook the cookies. Once cooled the cookies will stiffen up and be chewy.
CAN I FREEZE THEM?
Yes, you can freeze the cookie dough balls or baked cookies in the freezer up to 3 months. When baking from frozen they will need a few extra minutes to bake.
If you make these tie dye cookies please leave a star rating and comment below!
For more delicious baking ideas you can follow me on Pinterest and Instagram @jessiebakestreats
You Might Also Love
- Tie Dye Rainbow Bread
- Rainbow Chip Cookies
- Funfetti Cookies
- Golden Oreo Sprinkle Cookies
- Sprinkle Sugar Cookie Bars
Tie Dye Cookies
- baking sheets
- large bowl
- measuring cups/spoons
- 1 C salted butter at room temperature
- 1 & 1/3 C white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 & 1/2 C all purpose flour spooned and levelled*
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tps each food colouring 3 different colours
- Preheat oven to 350F and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. This usually takes a good 5 minutes.1 C salted butter, 1 & 1/3 C white sugar
- Add in the egg and vanilla extract and mix till well combined.1 large egg, 2 tsp vanilla extract
- In a separate bowl whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.2 & 1/2 C all purpose flour, 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp baking soda, 1/4 tsp salt
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix till well combined.
- Divide dough into 3 equal pieces.
- With each dough piece add in a 1/4 tsp of different colours of food colouring. Mix well to saturate the dough. Keep dough pieces separate. You might need to add more food colouring depending on the brand of dye you use.1/4 tps each food colouring
- Scoop out 1 tbsp of each of the different coloured dough. Squish together and roll into a large ball to swirl the colours together. Place on the baking sheet 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until cookies are just starting to turn brown on the bottom.Let cookies fully cool on the baking tray before moving.
Leave a Review